Based in West Hartford, Connecticut, The Bridge Family Center, Inc.
is a comprehensive, regional nonprofit agency that provides a broad range of services for children and families throughout the Greater Hartford area. Founded in 1969, the Bridge offers a safe haven for children and families in crisis as well as positive, healthy intervention and prevention programs. The Bridge is recognized as a leader in bringing the community together to assess issues and needs, and plans, coordinates, delivers and evaluates services in a cost-effective manner.
The mission of the Bridge Family Center is
to foster the courage and strength in children and
families to meet life's challenges and build fulfilling lives.
The Bridge has four program areas that support its mission:
1) Family Resource Centers
- parent education, family counseling, reading readiness programs, after-school learning and enrichment activities, and early childhood intervention programs at four West Hartford elementary schools.
2) Youth and Family Services
- counseling, support groups, the Outpatient Psychiatric Clinic for Children, Bridge East counseling center, parenting services, positive youth development, school-based programs, mentoring, licensed summer youth camps, and the West Hartford Teen Center.
3) Residential Services
- youth shelters/Short-Term Assessment and Respite (STAR) homes in West Hartford, Manchester, Southington, Wolcott, and Harwinton; Eleanor House, a therapeutic group home for girls in Hartford; and transitional living programs for older teens: the Moving On Project and the Independent Living Program (Community Based Life Skills and Community Housing Assistance).
4) Community Services
- Tune-In to Life Week, substance abuse prevention workshops, and the West Hartford Family newsletter. Events: Breakfast on the Bridge and the Children's Charity Ball. Annual community recognitions: the Build No Fences Award and the Bridge Business Award.
• Last year the Bridge Family Center served approximately 7,500 young people and families.
• The Bridge's annual budget
is $7.9 million. Services are funded by private donations from individuals, foundations, corporations, and organizations; the Town of West Hartford; and the State
of Connecticut Departments of Children and Families (DCF) and Education.
• The Bridge is governed by a Board of Directors
composed of 16 individuals from West Hartford and the Greater Hartford community.
• 203 staff
members (88 full-time and 115 part-time) carry out the programs and services of the Bridge. More than 150 volunteers